Sunday, September 27, 2009
John Opdycke (1710-1777)
John was born to Albert and Elizabeth Opdycke in Hopewell, NJ. He married Margaret Green. John and Margaret lived in Amwell, and raised a family of nine children. As one of our pioneer settlers, John Opdycke did a lot of building, starting with the mill at Headquarters, and a mill on the Wickecheoke, and two handsome stone houses, one at the covered bridge and one at Headquarters (Washington's Headquarters!), and finally a stone house on the Skeuse farm where he lived during his later years. John Opdycke was Constable for Amwell in 1744, Chosen Freeholder 1750-53, and a Justice of the Peace in 1755 and probably every year thereafter until his death. He was a member of the Amwell Township Committee from 1773 to 1776, so he was very much involved in the lead-up to the Revolution and was laster elected official in Amwell during the Revolutionary War (1777).
Source: The Deleware Township Post